The First cycling course after the Tour de France is always the classic “8 of Chaam” which in the mean time has merged to Alphen-Chaam with the former municipalities Alphen en Riel, Chaam and Nieuw – Ginneken, being originally Ginneken and Bavel (up to 1942).
Alphen – Chaam
The Arms is a merger of the former shields of Alphen-Riel and Chaam. Birds, Alps and Coam in silver; shield in green.
Chaam: known for it’s cycling classic “8 of Chaam” ; the first international cycling classic after finishing the Tour de France. It was established on May 20th 1898 as a cycling club “steeds voorwaarts” (keep on going) which organised annual courses between the villages of Ulvenhout; Meerle (Belgium) and Baarle – Nassau at the Belgian border. It took till 1933 before Chaam became a part of interest in the cycling events. Problems with the organisation like closed cross-overs at railroads and the limitation by the Mayor of Ginneken and Bavel to forbid cycling with uncovered legs within his borders gave the decision to keep the events from now on on the soil of Chaam itself only and the course would have the shape of an “8”. In that year they organised the 1st event for professional riders. In the mean time (with some cancellations during the War) they have organised already the 64th event for professional riders and be called for sure the oldest Dutch professional cycling course.
In historical senses the village of Chaam was already mentioned in the year of 422 under the “crushing rocks” (meeting points) of the Franks. The name “Chaam” was diverted from the Keltic tribe “Cambo” and pleas for itself to be of prehistorical origin. During the course of history the abbeys of Thorn and Echternach and the Lords of Breda became of much influence. In the 11th century the powers of the Abbeys declined and the influence of the Lords of Breda and the Order of the Templar increased. The Order of the Templar ceased to exist in 1312 and their rights were transferred to the Johannites, which transferred their rights to the Lords of Breda in 1648.
Alphen en Riel
Due to these Lords, Alphen and Chaam were connected to each other. In the 15th century they had a joint Council(?) from which Alphen provided 4 members and Chaam 3. Together with Baarle-Nassau they had 1 Sheriff ; 1 Secretary and later 1 Tax Collector. Due to this jurisdiction they did not evolve separately for several centuries. The French occupiers finished in 1810 a complete re-organisation. Chaam was disconnected and continued as an independent municipality. Riel was added to Alphen. Due to the merging in 1997 they were joined together again. (Source: Wikipedia)
A few key types are known for Chaam but except for a building permit dated 1976 , other dates are lacking. I some cases there are small varieties in colour or even only in the background colours.
|Listing of stamps from Chaam late '60s / early '70s|
|f 1,-||black on blue||“Leges” thin||dot in “1.-“|
|f 5,-||black on grey||pink vertical stripe||“Leges” thin||comma in “5,-“|
|f 1,50||black on dark pink||red vertical stripe||“Leges” fat||comma in “1,50”|
|f 2,50||black on dark blue||purple vertical stripe||“Leges” fat||comma in “2,50”|
|f 10,-||black on yellow ocher||light red vertical stripe||“Leges” fat||comma in “10,-”|
There is 1 model recorded for Alphen en Riel having various types. The oldest types often start in the early 40s. Also in this case no dates of usage are known and estimates are used until further notice.
Sources: heraldry from the website and CD of Ralph Hartemink. Other information from several websites elsewhere. This text was originally published at www.belastingzegels.nl.